Sunday, November 17, 2013

On This Day in Elizabethan History: The Accession of Elizabeth Tudor


The plaque under the tree reads, "This oak tree was planted by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the 11th July 1985, on the site of the original oak tree under which Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth I heard of her succession to the throne" at Hatfield House on November 17th, 1558. Picture shared for public use on Wikimedia Commons. Image public domain.


"The Queen is dead; long live the Queen!"

On this day in Elizabethan history in 1558, Queen Mary I died and Elizabeth Tudor was declared Queen of England. The last of the Tudor dynasty, Queen Elizabeth I would also become the most successful Tudor monarch. Her coronation would take place on January 15th, 1559.

A coronation portrait miniature of Queen Elizabeth I, possibly by Levina Teerlinc. Picture acquired through Wikimedia Commons. Image public domain.

Read about Queen Elizabeth I's annual Accession Day celebrations here.